Animal Welfare is a Part of Animal Health
Our company has just garnered a Tier 2 ranking in the latest Business Benchmark on Farm Animal Welfare (BBFAW) report, the leading global measure of company performance on farm animal welfare. Only 16 of the 150 global companies in the report rank in the top two tiers, reserved for companies that make animal welfare integral to their business strategy. This is the sixth year in a row that the annual BBFAW report ranked Cargill in Tier 2 out of six tiers total. Only 16 of the 150 global companies rated in BBFAW’s report are in Tiers 1 or 2, which BBFAW defines as reserved for companies that have made animal welfare integral to business strategy.
Recent examples of the company’s leadership and progress include:
- A new partnership funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to work with several partners in improving animal agriculture in Africa and Asia, benefitting both human health and animal well-being
- Joining the U.S. CattleTrace program, an effort by multiple state cattlemen’s associations to develop a national infrastructure for animal disease traceability in the U.S. cattle industry
- Contributing to the International Poultry Welfare Alliance’s Key Welfare Indicators Guide, a resource to help raise awareness and understanding of key welfare indicators, including how to assess them and incorporate them into future standards
- Publishing new research on how to prevent negative impacts to cattle welfare and mobility resulting from supply chain slowdowns caused by COVID-19
- Improvements in various animal welfare indicators like transportation times for live animals, percentage of laying hens in the supply chain that are cage-free, and more